Tuesday, June 08, 2010

To Press, finally

So, my first book chapter is finally available. We finished it LAST year @ this time sans edits. Either way, it's done and printed, and I received my copies of the book today. It's got a cool pic of John Wayne on the front. It's really cool to see my name in print, too.

I'm working on another chapter now - one about mentoring and the assessment of writing instruction. And, my part includes the notion that both roles, mentor and mentee, are about performance and trust...much like what Tompkins talks about in her 1990 article "Pedagogy of the Distressed." Right now, I'm working out some connections to comp theory, too. My co-author is connecting his section to Writing Center theory, so it should turn out to be a cool chapter if it shapes up as we anticipate.

In other news, we made a new goat shed are still at work scrubbing and filtering the pool today.

I was thinking about all the books I've read since school let out. It's alot. 2 James Patterson, PUSH, Martinez's Monster, Koontz's Relentless, Kaplan's A Job to Kill for, Kandel's Christietown, Harbert's Captivity, Harris's new Sookie book, Dead in the Family, and Stein's The Art of Racing in the Rain. Right now, I'm working on The Life of Pi.

PUSH was as disturbing as its movie Precious. Patterson books seem all the same to me, but they always are a fun, easy read. The new Sookie Stackhouse book was a disappointment, but I feel like it's one of those in-between books to set you up for the next in the series. I AM looking forward to the next season of True Blood to come out on Netflix, though. Art of Racing was cool for me because the narrator is a dog. And, I read it right around the anniversary of Norman's death, so it was nice...and a cool idea - thanks to BG alum and Mama Laura in Ohio for telling me about it. I hope I meet Norman again someday. Captivity was a true story about one of the spouse's cousin's. She was held captive by the Chinese in the late 60's and early 70's. Bad writing, but interesting to know more about his family. The rest are unmentionable, not bad, not good, just mindless reading. It's good for the soul.

Otherwise, I'd be watching 16 and Pregnant all day.

This is true. I watched 6 episodes in a marathon of Billy the Exterminator last week.

No comments: